Thursday, May 10, 2012

Clippers, Floppers, Blake Griffin and Mr. Harkins.


"Mr. Harkins, everything is all good in the universe today," said Ray.

Jim Harkins nodded his head and said, "yep."

They sat on a green couch in a small apartment.

"Ray, why do those grown men roll around on the court and act like they are hurt?"

"You know I don't like to cuss, but they are just little bitches. You would think if they were so freaking good they wouldn't have to flop."

"Floppers, huh."

"Yeah, floppers," Ray said as he turned the volume up on the old TV.

Lilies left for Wyoming that day at 10:21 am.

"Are you going to be lonely with Lilies not coming around?"

"I am, but today just feels like a good day, like everything is going to be alright. You know I don't have that feeling of impending doom and I am going to be alight and you are going to be alright and the world is going to be alright."

"Yep yep"

The men heard two neighbors fighting above them. The floor creaked.The TV announcer was complaining about Blake Griffin flopping.

"Sometimes random thoughts just pop in my head," said Mr Harkins.

"Like what?"

"I was just watching the game and I thought of Allison Tallpole from my high school in Alabama. No reason whatsoever, just a picture of her popped in my head. I haven't thought about her in thirty years at least."

Ignored in the background...."Chis Paul gets fouled, and he is holding his mouth......"

"Maybe the place where you store the word flop in your brain is close to where you store the memory of her," Ray turned the volume down and looked towards Harkins, "Every time I thought of this kid I use to know from my high school I would soon there after think of Overton Park and Poplar."

"I don't understand what you are saying, but that Allison was sure something." Harkins paused for a second, "I do know where that intersection is though."

"I just meant that maybe the memories are close in your head. You store that stuff somewhere right?  I put Ed Langston in one place in my brain, and the next spot held my memory of the Overton Park entrance. Maybe they bleed over or my mind just checks the next few blocks to see it got the whole thought."

"You think Lilies will ever return to Memphis?" said Mr. Harkins changing the subject.

"Maybe, but I hope everything works out for her out there in those hills."

"I feel really good too today for some reason," said Mr. Harkins.

"Dem dere rockies," Ray said in a strange unrealistic accent.

Mr Harkins spoke in fake accent too, "She gunna live is those hills, under a big ol' rock. Yes she is."

Ray laughed out loud never hearing Harkins talk like that.

The men watched the TV as Griffin rolled around on the court holding his face.









No comments: