Thursday, September 24, 2009

The neighbor

I recieved a mix cd in the mail yesterday, I looked up at her apartment as the mailbox door slammed down. At the top of the hardwood steps her light was on.
"She doesn't even know I exist," I thought as a slammed the door to my apartment. I stood there listening for footsteps above and after not hearing anything I slammed the door several more times.

I heard the door of #1 unlock across the hall and the old man came out and asked,  "is everything ok?"

I said, "I think I have the flu, or a bacteria infection."

We stood there, and he told me about his mother dying when he was a boy.
I shut the door and hoped the neighbor heard how concerned I was talking to Old Man Harkins. I hoped she had her ear to the floor listening for any clues on who I might be or what type of person I am.

"I'm sure she will like me if she knew who I really was," I thought as put a cup to the wall. 


1 comment:

Cadet Christie said...

is this the neighbor that was living there this summer?? you got an old man neighbor too??